maggiehunterbrown Unsung voices and other melodies…

maggiehunterbrown Unsung voices and other melodies…

You can scroll the shelf using and keys

aMuse: The Feminization of the Working Poor in North America

September 14, 2012 , , , , ,

One of my fascinations with Gloria Watkins, or Bell Hooks when I first met her in print, was her innate ability to write short stories, and thus express her ideas in fragmented time. If you didn’t have a day to spend on reading, you could pick up a chapter, here and there, and read the thoughts of this insightful writer. If you had more time, then you had an opportunity to grasp the book, in its entirety.

What was important to me at that time, and I think deliberate in its construct by GW or BH, was the acknowledgement that womens’  lives were busy, and the simplicity of doing  just one task at a time, or indulging in reading meditatively was: a privilege; done in the scarcity of spare time; and decadent in its act, if you were part of the working poor, or overloaded in your role and contributions as a labourer of your familial unit. At that time, I was a single parent , and a student at Queen’s University. Failing wasn’t an option.

This was a writer who helped to make course reading fun. It was neat to get lost in her inspirational thinking. She understood that days can get loaded with tasks and to do lists; sometimes you only had 2-3 or 5-7 minutes to take a break – she was the sort of author that you could take with you into a bank queue, and read a chapter, while waiting for customer service. You didn’t always have to link it with the previous chapter either, but you got the idea of where she was going with her thought… and it was provoking. GW’s work was getting airtime by the mid 70’s, and seemed to address the issues of womens’ roles in First World living.

Isn’t it ironic in how more and more categories of our humaneness are slipping more and more into the historical treatment patterns reserved for our voiceless groups of people – turning them also into feminized units of silenced participants. It conveniently gets us out-of-the-way, without blood or bruises, while others play and construct a world that is convenient only to themselves. At the same time this silencing renders the majority of us as redundant, or impotent in our acts, and prevents us from curtailing their movements, their goals, etc. It begins a goal, on their part, to discredit the voiceless. I might add these goals only benefit a few of our species, but at the cost, the energy and of us as a whole.

I am just beginning to wonder on this journey around WordPress, and the world of blogging. It is a virtual world of readers and writers, of the voluntary kind. It may also be an ember right out of the French Revolution, in that it does not appear to censor the articulations of the 99 percent, simply because we may have something to say that the remaining 1 percent may not want distributed. It may be the world in which to build movements, of the social kind!

Advertisements

What do you think?

Please keep your comments polite and on-topic.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: